1.10.09

pretty girls make graves.

no less than SIX people who know me well told me that i would love the movie (500) days of summer. here's what i have to say to them: i wish you knew me better. not completely horrible, but certainly nothing to write home about. here are my complaints in list form. because that's what i do: complain. in lists.

1. the last thing this world needs is another garden state.

don't get me wrong. i liked garden state alright. when i was sixteen. now it just frustrates me. garden state and (500) days of summer are like disney movies for twenty-somethings. love doesn't work like that. people don't work like that. i will give a million dollars to anyone that can find me a lovesick architect that looks like joseph gordon-levitt, dresses well, and listens to the smiths. which forces me to complain: of COURSE they both like the smiths. of COURSE that's what their first conversation is about. (side note: ironically enough, morrissey describes himself as being asexual. i, at least, thought that was funnyish.)

2. this is going to be the movie that makes everyone love joseph gordon-levitt, when brick was far better.

seriously. so. much. better. watch it. that's all i have to say.



3. the ending. don't keep reading if you haven't seen it.

really? REALLY? her name had to be autumn? i might have even admitted that the sad twenty-something girl that i am sort-of liked this movie had it had a different ending. if, say, he didn't meet another girl at the end. and if, say, her name hadn't been autumn. that's just ridiculous.

---

this isn't necessarily a complaint, but i must say, i think i am falling out of infatuation with zooey deschanel. i'm realizing that she always plays the cute girl with a rad voice that all the weird guys can't stay away from. (see: elf, weeds, yes man, (500) days of summer...) ok, not ALWAYS always, but enough always.

she & him is still great, though. because she does have a rad voice. don't worry.



maybe i should just lighten up and let myself like pathetic movies. i think for now, though, i'll happily stick to horror.

4 comments:

Heather said...

A)So you should watch "Eulogy" because it's one of the greatest movies ever that Zooey is in. It's older.

B)List are the best.

C)While I was reading your post, I had the good ole iPod on shuffle and guess what came up? She & Him. No lie. So strange I may just need to take a nap to get over it.

nash bryant said...

I COMPLETELY AGREE.
brick is so much better, and doesn't make me feel like a subculture is getting exploited.

Jenni said...

Brick is possibly one of my favorite movies, ever. Also, first rated R movie I loved.

"Maybe I'll just sit here and bleed at you."

k. said...

oh em gee!

that's my favorite line. i die laughing.