26.10.09

thru-hiker-to-be.

as a wee child in massachusetts i loved hiking in the hills there. saying something like that makes me sound like i'm a hundred years old, but honestly, the forests there were so much better to me than the sandbar that we moved to. fast forward and a a few days ago i started reading a walk in the woods. bill bryson is a funny guy. and i've decided that i'm going to hike the whole thing.



maine to georgia. well... technically i'm going to go georgia to maine.



i'll start in march probably. cooler in the south and it'll be warmer in the north when i get there.



for every birthday and christmas and tax refund for a while i'm going to get a sleeping bag and one of those precious tiny tents that weighs and ounce and indestructible silverware and all those other fun necessities.



i'm gonna go the summer of 2011, i'm thinkin'.

the great debate is whether or not to go alone.

1. people keep you sane and two people make more noise than one to keep black bears away.
2. going alone would be WAY more gnarly and i'd be a thousand times more proud of myself. it might be nice to not see another human for a month or so, too. it supposedly takes fives months or so, but you know... fellow hikers and whatnot.

you guys should come, though. when push comes to shove, methinks i'm gonna wanna be with someone.

2 comments:

Heather said...

So things to keep in mind:

1. If you go alone, you have to carry EVERYTHING yourself... if you go with two then you can split up the necessities to make for lighter packs.
2. Also, you should wait until the end of the season sales at REI, EMS, etc to find good deals on tents. That's what I did. My tent is so light and awesome and great and I paid 1/3 less than most folks because I waited to get it until the end of this summer.
3. So I don't think I can take 5 months off of work to do this, but probably like 2 weeks so how about I meet up with you somewhere out there?

k. said...

do it.